I read A LOT. And, as a public library manager, I am around books ALL DAY. For me, there really isn't anything that makes more sense to blog about. So here they are, my personal thoughts on books that I have read. Enjoy... and remember, everyone has their own opinion!


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reckless Abandon by Stuart Woods

As you may notice, I took a double break with Stuart Woods over the weekend after Mother's Day. This book is yet another in the Stone Barrington series, specifically #10 of (currently) 18. If you haven't already, read my review of Dirty Work, which comes before this one in the series.

Woods brings a character from another of his series into Stone Barrington's world in this book by having Holly Barker hook up with Stone while she is in New York hunting a fugitive. If you've read the Holly Barker books, this story in this book comes between Blood Orchid and Iron Orchid. The fugitive that Holly is after is the "one that got away" at the end of Blood Orchid.

At the beginning of this book, there seem to be a bunch of separate things going on that don't seem to have much to do with each other. CIA agent Lance Cabot shows up and wants both Holly and Stone to sign on as "contractors" for the agency. The FBI is involved here too... and no one wants to play nice together to catch the bad guy (of course). Holly and Stone end up (big shocker) in bed and Woods is back to his usual over-sharing of the sex details. I actually find it so interesting to do a mental comparison between a Stuart Woods sex scene and, say, a Nora Roberts sex scene. A man's take on the whole thing is so very different from a woman's!! (As my mom would say... men ARE from Mars, after all)

Ok, so the point here... Did I like this book? I did, well enough. It verges very closely on mindless... because if you think too much about some stuff (How can a Florida chief of police spend so much time away from her department to hunt for a killer that the federal government doesn't even want her to have?)... well, think too hard and your head might really hurt. Take it for its basic entertainment value and you're ok. I'll keep reading this series... because, as Stone's buddy Dino so articulately puts it, wherever Stone goes, "people drop dead, and women take off their underwear." Can't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment